How Do I Maintain My Drill Pipe and When Should I Replace It?
Drill pipe plays an extremely important role in the drilling process. If the drill pipe is not used and maintained properly, it is easy to accidentally break the drill pipe because the probes attached to the drill pipe are worth a lot of money, ranging from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. Once the drill pipe breaks, this will be a major economic loss. So how do we use and maintain the drill pipe?
1. When using new drill pipe for the first time, wipe the protective grease from the threads of the drill pipe, clean the inner wall of the drill pipe with air or water, and then apply thread oil to the inner and outer threads of the drill pipe to prevent damage to the threads or fasteners.
2. When drilling, try to ensure that the drill hole is vertical to avoid premature wear of the drill pipe caused by skewed or bent drill bits.
3. A starter rod should be connected between the impactor and the first drill pipe, otherwise the first drill pipe will be damaged prematurely.
4. When connecting the drill pipe, remember to apply thread oil on the threads of the drill pipe and tighten the drill pipe; if not tightened, the thread connection will loosen, causing the top of the thread grinding teeth to become sharp, resulting in thread damage or seizure; not tightened The mother button step is not pressed, resulting in air leakage and fatigue fracture of the outer thread root.
Water well drill pipe
5. When connecting the drill pipe, the male buckle should not collide with the shoulder and thread of the female buckle, and ensure that the male and female joints are aligned, and the buckle should not be forcibly snapped when the alignment is incorrect. Ensure the coaxiality of the drill bit and the connected drill pipe.
6. Check the wear of all parts of the drill pipe and find abnormal wear in time to discover.
a) Whether there are sharp and hard objects scratching the drill pipe in the hole. When the drill pipe body is scratched and in a rounded state, please use it carefully. If the scratch depth is large, prohibit the use to avoid the drill pipe from falling off.
b) Whether the drill hole is skewed, bent or collapsed, resulting in wear or deformation of the drill pipe.
c) The construction of abnormal strata such as pebble layer, fracture layer and reinforced concrete layer, which causes damage to the drill pipe.
Water well drill pipe
7. It is not allowed to mix drill pipes of different manufacturers to prevent premature wear of the buckle or threads. Due to the different technical parameters, processing methods, tools and precision of the processing equipment used by the manufacturers, the thread tolerance and tightness of the processed threads are bound to be different.
8. Drill pipes with large differences between old and new or wear should not be mixed, so as not to cause construction hazards.
9. When the drill pipe is difficult to unbuckle, use a small hammer to gently vibrate the threaded part of the joint. It is strictly forbidden to use a sledgehammer to hit the joint violently and cause damage to the threads.
10. When small local damage to the threads of the drill pipe is found, it should be repaired with a file in time.
11. Drill pipe should be stored in the open air for a long time. Before storing, wipe the drill pipe clean, coat the threaded part with anti-rust oil and put on a protective cap. Avoid impact damage to the male buckle when handling the drill pipe.
If you want to learn more, you can click here.